Saturday, October 18, 2014

Handspring Visor Deluxe (Blue)

Handspring Visor Deluxe
  • 8 MB RAM stores thousands of addresses, appointments, to-do items, memos, and more
  • Fully compatible with thousands of Palm OS applications
  • Supports optional expansion modules for MP3 player, pager, modem, GPS, video games, and more
  • Important note: If you are running Windows 95/NT or using a non-USB Macintosh, you must order the Serial HotSync Cradle separately
  • What's in the box: Visor Deluxe, HotSync cradle, stylus, snap cover, leather slip case, Palm Desktop software, two AAA batteries

I got my Visor Deluxe last month and I love it.

If you are considering buying a Visor Deluxe, I'm sure you are deciding between this Visor and PalmIIIxe, because they have similar feature, spec, and they both have the same price.

AT the same time I bought my Visor, my roommate bought a PalmIIIxe (and he also loves his Palm very much). So i'll give you the differences between these 2 PDAs, and let you decide which one you like better.

I'll start with How Visor is better.

-Visor has expansion module, which means alot, you can add many many feature afterward, you can make your Visor am MP3 player too! And you can also easily add more memory to your Visor, while for PalmIIIxe, you can only add 2MB flashcard.

-Visor is a bit lighter than PalmIIIxe (5.4oz Vs 6.0 Oz, not a lot of difference though)

-When you buy a leather case for your Visor, you dont have to stick a valcro to the back of your PDA like you have to for Palm. (Palm need a Valcro to hold it to the case, while for Visor, there's a plastic holder attach to the back of the leather case, so you can jsut put your Visor securely in there)

-Visor comes with a fast USB cradle while Palm comes with slow serial cradle, so if you buy palm and want a fast synconizing, you'll need to buy a USB cradle separatly for about thirty dollars.

-Visor comes with a good quiality stylus, it has solid feel of metal, and if you open it up, there's a little screw driver and a reset pin inside. Palm comes with a piece of plactic stylus, my roomate had to buy a new stylus for about fifteen dollars.

-And another important nice thing about Visor is, you have 4 cool colors to choose from (5 colors if you include boring graphite color) If you are getting Visor as a gift to a college students or someone young, they'll love the colors.

Ok, now to what's better about PalmIIIxe

-PalmOS on Palm is upgradable, while Visor user will stuck with PalmOS version 3.1 for the rest of the VIsor's life. However, this is not a problem as it may sounds. most version of PalmOS's are essentially the same thing.

-PalmIIIxe has better display than Visor. Palm has 4bits display, while Visor deluxe has only 2bits. This means that, for Palm, u'll be able to display 16 level of grey-scale, while for Visor, you can only display 4 levels of grey-scale.

So, that's about it for the little comparison chart I made. Other tings about these 2 PDAs are the same, they use same processor, and dimension is the same. (Visor is slightly thicker, and Palm is slightly wider)

As a recommendation if you r going to buy Visor Deluxe, get one of the cool color, don't get the graphite one, unless you are a businessman, and want a more sophiticate looking device. Otherwise, other 4 colors are way cooler, (mine's orange)

If you have more cash to burn, then I recommend you getting either PalmVx or Visor Platinum, they are a little bit more expensive. However, I've never used them so I will not write any comments about them.

P.S. DO NOT get a PDA with less then 8MB memory, must have AT LEAST 8MB

Buy Handspring Visor Deluxe (Blue) Now

I was one of the initial customers of the Handspring Visor and I have NEVER regretted my decision. Since that time I have managed to sway almost all new PDA purchases towards Handspring (they owe me big time!).

I think that alone says something about this product.

A few of my thoughts from owning this device: 1. If you're a WinCE user, you'll be AMAZED w/ how much faster the palm OS is. I actually use it MUCH more often than I did my WinCE device.

2. It comes w/ software to sync w/ a desktop program (also included) called Palm Desktop. There are "conduits" that will help you sync w/ Outlook and many other PIMs Lotus Notes, not included.

3. You might want to consider purchasing Intellisync but first buy the device and see if you'll need it. Just keep that filed in the back of your mind that this $70 software might also be necessary. However, this is NOT a mark against Handspring because if you find you need it you would've needed it for any other PDA device Palm or WinCE.

4. If you're buying it for the modules take a look at what's available right now. There's LOTS in development, but I'm still waiting for something useful. I am happy just knowing that I won't outgrow this device anytime soon. Friends who bought the Palm V are already in trouble because that 2MB of ram ran out.

5. If you're new to Palm the memory goes a LONG way. 2MB can actually be plenty you just have to manage it more. I have the 8MB version and I'm just over 2MB that's w/ a few ebooks, tons of.... web pages, tons of contacts, and even MORE shareware loaded up. I keep just dumping stuff on it to see if I like it, then I'm too lazy to delete it. That's what happens when you have too much memory.

Go to .... (it's a visor discussion board) to get a feel for the issues people are having with it and to talk to some real users or feel free to just email me any general questions.

Read Best Reviews of Handspring Visor Deluxe (Blue) Here

Well, it was a tough decision... I weighed all the options between the Palm Vx and the Visor. While it was tough to get over the slick look of the Palm V, the blue Visor is really cool looking anyway. The key is, however, that looks really don't matter here what matters is what it can do.

First of all, the springboard feature is the number one reason to buy the Visor. It's awesome. And yesterday, they just released a modem that is only the size of the cartridge (unlike the one for sale on Amazon) that doesn't even require batteries. It's amazing, and it's only a hint of what's to come. If you look at the Handspring home page and click on Springboard Module news, you'll be amazed at what you see coming in the near future.

Memory of 8MB is simply fantastic. It's not worth paying another $150 for 8MB on the Palm V. Plus, with the Springboard, you can double it. For way less than $150.

Make sure you get AvantGo. All the other reviewers are right it's great. Don't neglect this service! News, sports, info, travel, fun stuff, whatever...excellent!

USB support is a big thing. It has it, and the transfer is pretty fast. USB is the future of computer ports, and Handspring obviously knows that.

Make sure you get the Write Right things to put on the screen to prevent scratching. And the Graffiti handwriting recognition is very nice. I have no complaints.

The only negatives would be that you don't get the rechargable lithium batteries, you can't flash upgrade the OS, and it's a bit heavier than the Palm Vx. But it makes up for it. Unless you're one of those people who needs color and the extra PocketPC features, I think the Visor is the way to go. An excellent product with plenty of upgradability. Definitely a five star innovation.

Want Handspring Visor Deluxe (Blue) Discount?

I have owned and used a Palm IIIe for a couple of years. I recently ordered the basic Visor for my mom as the lower end Palm devices are simply not available either locally or on the WWW. After the Visor was delivered, we discovered that the cradle that comes standard with the handheld requires USB connection. My mom does not have USB capability so she asked to trade her Visor for my Palm. I must admit that I was skeptical at first and not sure about Handspring. I tend to be loyal to products that have worked well for me. After using the Visor I absolutely think it is a great handheld! I have actually returned it and purchased the deluxe model with 8 MB of storage. It works exactly like my Palm but with these notable exceptions: tons of storage, the ability to expand via the Springboard, great fun colors and a super price! Already there are an assortment of modules and accessories that are quite impressive! I strongly encourage all skeptics out there to seriously look at the Visor! It is a great value and a great product!

I'm a first time PDA user and I'm in love with it.

Let me tell you this, I've never been an organized person, and I'm not now, but whenever I need to do something I just put an appointment with alarm in my Visor and it reminds me of what and when I have to do anything. Really useful for a guy who has no memory.

No more pockets full of papers with phone numbers, dates and appointmente, just write it on your Visor and let it take care of it.

There are even loads of applications that remind you of important dates like birthadays and aniversaries that can make a difference with your friends, family or clients.

Another fantastic feature is the posibility of answering you emails on the go, everyday I spend a couple of hours on the train, it is fantastic to read and answer emails that I don't have the time or will to write back at home.

I also installed Avant Go and now I can read the latest news every morning on the train.

The 8 MB memory is also a good deal, very good price and you can stuff lots of things in there. I got plenty of books (wich you can download from lots of places for free!), notes, pictures, games, contacts. I have more things that I can use and I still got 4 MB free of space!

No more getting stuck in an airport or train station with nothing to read or play (I got chess, othello, rpg games, shoot 'em up games...)

Just think of a use you need from the Visor, just get in the internet and check the thousands of applications there are for it, I'm sure you'll find the one you need. All that without speaking of the great modules that are available like 8 MB more of memory or the back up module which can save your day if you happen (not likely) to loss you data.

Don't think about it, buy it and you will take it everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment