Monday, June 30, 2014

Tripp Lite B130-101A VGA Over Cat5e Cat5 with Audio Extender, Up to 500ft

Tripp Lite B130-101A VGA Over Cat5e Cat5 with Audio Extender, Up to 500ft
  • Perfect for digital signage applications in retail locations, schools, churches and more
  • Extends a 1920 x 1440 (60Hz) Video and Stereo Audio signal up to 500 ft., or a 1024 x 768 (60Hz) Video and Stereo Audio signal up to 1,000 ft., when using 24Awg, Solid Wire Cat5e/6 cable
  • For optimal image quality between 500 and 1,000 ft., use Zero-Skew cable, such as Tripp Lite P524-01K
  • The remote (Receiver) unit features built-in Equalization and Gain controls to adjust the video image
  • 1 year limited warranty, TAA compliant

The product does what it advertises and does it pretty well. No special drivers. I installed this product in 4 conference rooms to 42" 1080p Monitors wall mounted across the room from the source computer. In each situation, running new VGA cables would have been very difficult and not practical. One room required a mirrored display on two monitors.

I used the existing Network wiring and connected the signal from the outlet closest to the computer to the outlet closest to the monitor using the patch panel in the Server Room, so in some cases I was sending the signal from one end of the building to the other in order to get across the room.

At a distance of 80 to 100 Cat5 cable feet, the picture was perfect. At 150 to 200 cable feet, the picture was near perfect with small adjustment to the Gain and EQ on the receiving unit.

No drivers are required, just adjust the video properties as you would with any computer monitor. Both the sending and receiving unit require an electrical outlet. I tested it with several laptops, even some older ones with limited video resolution. All worked.

One sending unit failed after a few days, and Tripp Lite's warranty replacement department exceeded my expectations. I've seen the same item with a different brand name, I imagine it would work the same, but I would go with Tripp Lite based on their excellent customer service.

Buy Tripp Lite B130-101A VGA Over Cat5e Cat5 with Audio Extender, Up to 500ft Now

I purchased this product to replace a 25' VGA cable that links my desktop monitor to my computer rack across the room. I'm using an IOGear MiniView Ultra+ 8-port KVM switch hooked up with (currently) 5 computers. The computers are a mix of laptops, desktop towers and server towers. My monitor is a Dell 2450fpw 24" widescreen monitor with a 1920x1200 native resolution. This setup has been in place for about three years, with no significant issues until I recently upgraded several of the laptops with new ones.

Turns out the new graphics cards (both Nvidia and ATI) do not put out a strong enough signal to allow my monitor to display its full resolution. I'm unable to get past about 1650x1080. This prompted my search for a better solution, and the TrippLite unit seemed to fit my requirements, as it advertises support for 1920x1200.

Setup:

Hooking it up was straightforward. I used a brand new 25' Cat6 cable and regular VGA cables to hook the local and remote units up to my monitor and KVM. The power supplies use nice screw-on connectors, which is a plus.

Result:

The laptop that was able to drive the monitor through the old VGA cable was also successful with the TrippLite unit after I tweaked the gain and EQ settings on the remote unit.

The newer laptops actually performed worse than before, topping out at 1280x1024.

Debugging the problem uncovered the fact that the TrippLite unit does not support the Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) interface, which allows the graphics card to query the monitor to discover its optimum resolution. Considerable manual tweaking of settings did not provide a usable signal.

Conclusion:

The three stars I gave the unit reflect my feeling that, while in most cases this will be a fine unit, it just does not do what I purchased it to do based on the advertised specs.

If you want to use this unit to drive an external display such as an HD TV, you're going to love it. If you're looking for an integrated setup with a high definition computer monitor, you're going to be disappointed.

This unit is going back to Amazon.

Read Best Reviews of Tripp Lite B130-101A VGA Over Cat5e Cat5 with Audio Extender, Up to 500ft Here

We originally purchased the Atlona AT-VGA180ASR VGA over CAT5 w/Audio adapter to put a computer screen 50 feet away in our lab from the server closet. It failed immediately and was a jumble of cable. The Tripp Lite unit feels solid, works great, and has the option to have local video as well. Awesome unit. Strong signal.

Want Tripp Lite B130-101A VGA Over Cat5e Cat5 with Audio Extender, Up to 500ft Discount?

Running 1080p from a kvm @ 120' local monitor 22" 1080p and remote is 32" TV 1080p

As others, little adjustment to the "EQ" and picture perfect.

Picture looks like it does on local monitor with or without this unit.

Running off FC15 console (linux), Windows 7 1280x1024 ( mostly desktop etc), windows 7

with a silicondust HD prime(networkable digital cablecard to get HBO etc in WMC) at 1080p

Windows XP running 1280x1024 for analog cable DVR. I use synergy(1.4.5 beta) to control the desktops

as I haven't ran a usb over ethernet yet for keyboard and mouse.

Thus far I am very impressed, no need for instructions, the unit is clearly labeled.

The power connector has a "screw" on connection, great for figuring out what that wallwart

goes to, as well, it wont slip out when it falls (dropped unit at least twice each side already)

haven't tried audio yet, when I do I will update to the sound quality.

12-02: Sound works well, I only have it to a small desktop, no crackles or anything.

Once I set it up, I haven't had to touch it. Only mono audio.

04-26: Has stopped working. Still works on less than 25 foot cable, anything further

than that and it won't show a picture after post.

06-01: 2nd device has now died and 1st wont go past 25 feet.

note to self, stay away from Tripp Lite $250 wasted. Part of my life wasted on trying to get it to work again.

Save 45% Off

I just installed these yesterday (11/5/11) at church.

Needed to project from computer about 45 ft from ceiling mounted projector. I used cat6.

**Before installing in an unreachable/difficult to reach area (ie attic) test on floor**

**There are GAIN and EQ adjustments that will most likely need tweaking on the remote unit**

After I got the Gain and EQ adjusted the picture is quite good, I was pleasantly impressed.

*Probably an issue on my end with cabling, but my Red colors were Blue and Blue colors were Red. I think it was just that my pin-out was mixed I switched it around and everything worked fine*

No comments:

Post a Comment